Present: Karin Wittmann, Judy Holland, Paul Eagle, Katia Ancona, Timothy Holland, Alder Fuller, Susan Cutting- facilitating, Bindy Pendleton-note taking
Agenda: Built by group plus following up on last months meeting
Announcements: Karin shared how she represented BATI at the welcoming party for the new Belfast Parks and Recreation Dept. director, Norm Poirier. Would be great to investigate further BATI collaboration with the Parks Dept.
I ~ Following up on "How can we work more effectively with less meeting time?"
- Group agreed to re-try using Nabble Forum discussions for CC group - particularly items that seem to be 'housekeeping' variety, using meeting time more for meaningful discussions. Paul will reset this up and notify us when this is available. He will be happy to teach anybody one on one if needed.
- Agreed that BATI sponsored or co-sponsored events to be posted on BATI web Calendar can be sent to Judy, if for some reason she is away they will get forwarded to Bindy/Paul.
- Agreed to take out of CC Meetings the regular reporting updates of the working committees. That the working groups will be asked to send updates to CC convener who will forward them for reading before the CC meetings. Any working group who wants their reports/notes from meetings on BATI web site can send those to Paul. Note: It was not completely resolved/agreed if every meeting of the working groups was to submit notes or not/how much or what kind of info might get put on web site. More discussion needed for complete clarification and consensus.
II ~ Transition Booth & BATI Permablitz talk @ Common Ground Fair:
- BATI has agreed to host & organize a Maine Transition booth. Susan is heading this up and has already received funds towards payment of the booth from Dover-Foxcroft TI.
- Susan & Bindy will fill out form for the BATI Permablitz talk to be submitted by May 15. Name of the talk will be "What is a Permablitz? BATI experiences". Details yet to be worked out.
III ~ Climate Summer Riders: July 29-Aug. 5 they will be in Belfast; Waldo County 350.org will be organizing the hosting;staying at the UU Church; schedule not definite yet. Next 350. org meeting May 22 contact Susan/Paul FMI. Future Potluck with 350.org informally discussed between Bindy & Bob Shaw-no definite date set.
IV ~ Alder Stone Fuller discussed his work with system sciences, geo physiology, and climate change. Planning on being in area for a few weeks to few months while giving lectures & workshops in midcoast Maine. Presentation has been significantly changed since his last talk at NFI . Possible up coming 2hr presentations being scheduled @ Seacroft/ Cloe Chunn's-FMI contact >Alderstone3.com < or Judy Holland ?
V ~ Next Coordinating Circle meeting: June 13th 5-6 @ Belfast City Park Pavillion before BATI Potluck; agreed to have half of meeting or less be 'housekeeping' and other half "something more meaningful"/heart & soul material.
BATI Coordinating Circle Meeting
January 8, 2013, 6:15-8pm
57 High Street, Back Annex, 2nd Floor Apartment
Attendees: Karin Wittmann, Andrew Watkins, Katia Ancona, Timothy Holland, Paul Eagle, Bindy Pendleton, Susan Cutting, Jenn Brown, Jim Merkel (and Walden Merkel Cutting) Trisha Rose
Facilitator: Karin Wittmann and Susan Cutting
Note-Taker: Susan Cutting
The Meeting directly followed a BATI potluck at the same location from 5-6:15 pm. The CC was delighted to share dinner and conversation our guests—Trisha Rose, Jenn Brown, Jim Merkel and Walden Merkel Cutting.
Check-In around the circle: each shared a little about their vision for sustainability.
Agenda: An agenda was built by the group
BATI, the Belfast Free Library and Unity College are co-sponsoring a book group discussing Starhawk’s novel, “The Fifth Sacred Thing” at the library Jan. 22, Feb. 5, Feb. 19 at 6:30-8pm.
The BATI “Foodie Group” is meeting Tuesday, January 15th at 6pm at Timothy Holland’s apartment (57 High St. Back Annex 2nd floor). All are welcome.
The next round of public hearings about the proposed mega-tank in Searsport are taking place January 16-18 at 6pm at the Searsport High School.
The newly forming Waldo County 350.org group is meeting Thursday, January 10th at Waterfall Arts on the second floor. One of the topics they will discuss is their hopes to organize a film series for high school students about climate change. Paul plans to attend.
On Saturday, Jan. 26th, 8am-2:30 there is the annual meeting of the Sustain Mid-Maine Coalition in Waterville City Hall, 1 Common St. Paul plans to attend.
On Feb. 9th in Portland there is a Resilience Circle Facilitator Training organized by Lisa Fernandes. Karin will be attending.
Starhawk will lead a workshop at Rowe Conference center in MA entitled: “The Magic of Co-Creation: Building Power in Groups” March 8-10.
Belfast Creative Coalition is having a networking coffee hour at Bell the Cat Wednesday, Jan 10th at 8am.
Rob Brown will give an overview of co-ops and how they improve economic & community development on Monday, Jan 14 at 6:30pm at the Belfast Free Library
Bill and Lauren Errickson are giving a talk called “The Permaculture Process: Creating an Edible Landscape on Tues. Jan. 29, 6:30pm at the Belfast Free Library [added subsequently by note-taker]
Note to keep eyes pealed for events of the Slow Money Maine group, and the Eat Local Foods Coalition (based in Brunswick).
BATI Café. Marshall Rolerson and Jennifer Hill will be stepping down as 2 of the “stalwart” participants of the weekly BATI Transition Café at the Belfast Co-op on Mondays at 5pm.—Marshall, Jennifer and Andrew have been consistently holding these informal discussion gatherings for over 2 ½ years, and Jennifer has been writing and sending out delightful “notes from the café” for many months. Thanks to Marshall and Jennifer for all of this—their “last hurrah” café will be this Monday, Jan. 14th. Andrew will continue to be the “stalwart” presence at the café after this, and BATI members are encouraged to sign up to “co-chair” the discussions with Andrew each week. Trisha Rose has committed to fill this role on Jan. 21st.
Transportation Group. Marshall and Jennifer are also stepping down from their membership in the Transportation Spiral for BATI. BATI thanks them for their contributions in this realm; we will miss Marshall’s presence as representing this group on the Coordinating circle, and welcome anyone interested in stepping up to fill their shoes.
BATI Officers. BATI’s preference is to have more than one person for each of the three officer positions (Spokesperson, Treasurer and Archivist) in order to support those filling these roles. Currently, Paul Eagle serves as the lone (and awesome) BATI Archivist. BATI welcomes anyone interested in working with Paul in this capacity.
Skill Sharing. At the last BATI monthly potluck, there was an enthusiastic conversation about Skill-sharing. People shared what skills they have, and what skills they would like to “trade” or learn. There was follow-up after the potluck with information about electronic systems that exist to help communities organize sharing their skills. Paul Eagle several months ago set up at BATI page in the hOurworld time bank system, however, before it goes “on-line” there is quite a bit more to do, and Paul feels that there should be 3 people working on this. In the meantime, he has set up a way for people to enter their skills into the BATI website (see www.belfasttransition.org and go to the “Projects” page). Katia and Paul will discuss the next steps for this, and report back later.
BATI Goals. Some thoughts about goals for the next bit.
A BATI Newsletter. The Outreach and Education group would very much like to have a short and sweet, one two-sided page type of newsletter to have available around town for free.
Monthly would be better than quarterly, so as to be able to be current with local events.
Perhaps we could collaborate with the Brooks and Liberty/Montville Transition groups?
A BATI Intern. The Outreach and Education group plans to apply to Unity College for a student intern. One idea is that the intern would put together the BATI newsletter. There is a March deadline for the application.
Further Book Group type things. Perhaps a writing group? Or a non-fiction book discussion group—perhaps studying the book, “People and Permaculture?”
A ‘Heart and Soul’ type event. The “People and Permaculture” book group might serve as that. Or “The Presence Process”?
Collaboration as a priority. Let’s all continue to explore other ways to collaborate with other organizations on projects. It’s an essential part of who we are.
A Barter Fair. The Foodie Group is discussing organizing this for next harvest season.
Zero Waste Pledge. The Zero Waste Collaborative Project is considering getting “We’re Zero Waste” stickers made for local businesses
Other ideas: Start an Annual gathering? Participatory Action Research as a way of digging deep within ourselves? No Pesticides pledge by businesses?
BATI’s next chapter. We can continue thinking about our goals and also check in again about BATI’s focus. We identify as a networking organization. We recognize that our community is already doing so much work to transition. A few examples are: Belfast Bay Watershed Coalition; the Biking and Pedestrian Committee; and the trail network around town; and how the local food movement has really taken off around here. Consider other things we can do to support these and other local projects.
Minutes of May 9, 2012 Coordinating Circle Meeting
1) Attendees: Sheril, Timothy Holland, Paul Eagle, Katia Ancona, Karin Wittmann, Susan Cutting, Andrew Watkins, Judy Holland
Peter Baldwin apple ladder workshop burned down last night.
May 26 9-11 at Jennifer Hill’s office, there will be training for publicity.
Bike Trailer building workshop at Newforest on 5/20.
May 11 for rose removal and May 12 at 9am at the Co-op for work on the pollinator garden. Call Kate at the Co-op before showing up. [Later from Kate: “Thanks to Karin and Paul for your help.”]
3) Agenda Making:
Transition 2.0 handouts
Film Night Needs?
Archivist moment check in
Sociocracy Workshop report
Food Group Report
Website e-mail question
4) Financial Update:
BATI received a $30 check from the Co-op
WCCC gave BATI $200 through Local Economy WG
Credit Union Checking Acct. Balance: $ 283.41
5) Handouts: as trade for posting handouts can we make a link from BATI to Maine Coast Welcome Center? Archivist to do.
[May 17 note: Link to Weclome Center added to Resources page.] Karin to look into facebook options.
6) Film Night 5-15 at 6:30p. Nessa to be the facilitator. Should we put up the display? Brochures available? Working group updates not all done, still need group descriptions and coordinators’ information. Paul will make revised brochures available. Again, a call for volunteers to provide munchies, if not, we can do without. Signup sheet needs to be available. Judy will bring sign-up sheets. Timothy will bring his laptop. Transition/Intro with boy from 1.0 film might be a good segue.
7) Financial Structure: Decision making and paper trail for fund transfers discussed. Decision made to set up an account at County Copy; Susan to do. Postage needed for thank-you notes. Andrew to obtain postage stamps and leave at Timothy’s for use.
8) Searsport garden proposal still in limbo, new management at the housing site. Still hoping for a decision by June.
9) Permablitz update from Katia’s place. Nice amount of energy and most projects completed. Approximately 25 people worked. Water catchment system, 3 compost bins, 2 large beds done, high bush blueberries planted. Great food. Katia to send pictures to email@example.com. What’s the best way to capture these folks for the next blitz? Katia sent out a thank you e-mail.
10) Palermo blitz with no time slotted, will await Karin’s return from Iceland.
11) Archivist update—reorganized the discussion forum. Project page—is no titled “dreams.” Need a working group directory on the WEB site. Judy to do. What are they and who, how to contact. Who wants to be a BATI member.
12) Should we become members of Transition US? Must apply, regularly submit news, and give a list of members with a bio…
Round group check-in around this issue was done. Outcome is a unanimous yea.
13) Sociocracy Workshop update: BATI structure became part of discussion. Coordinating circle has two roles: the big picture for BATI and an important outreach unit. It could be an idea to have both an internal and an external CC meeting focus. The meaning of the word, “Frith” is like health, wealth, tilth of the soil, it’s the positive definition of peace. There will be an on-line discussion on Friday with the presenter; Paul to participate. More to follow on BATI website.
14) Trash committee update. Assistant to City Manager attended last meeting. Probably not going to do the single sort and also want to come up with a plastic recycle program and increase composting. Some interest in Swap Shop from Wes at Arhus. Katia will follow up. NY Times article today had an article about cultural move away from plastics.
15) Food Meeting report—some growth in numbers, working on hosting promoting Permablitzes. Karin working on Permablitz host guide to Food Group. Andrew will make a google doc.
Next Meeting: June 7th 6pm at Timothy’s.
Agenda for April 12, 2012 General Meeting
4) Treasurer’s Report
5.1) Overview of elections process
5.2) Review of Nominations:
Spokespeople-- Bindy Pendleton, Karin Whittmann, Susan Cutting;
Co-archivists—Paul Eagle, Judy Holland;
Co-treasurers—Timothy Holland, Andrew Watkins.
5.3) Elections and Acceptance: All elected and accepted their offices.
6) Overview of Constitution
Proposed constitutional amendments:
6.1) Add mission statement to the Constitution: “The Belfast Area Transition Initiative is an informal not-for-profit organization that supports and organizes community efforts to build local resilience and reduce dependence on fossil fuels.” accepted
6.2) Change name of “Coordinating Committee” to “Coordinating Circle” wherever it occurs. accepted
6.3) In Coordination Circle section, add that Officer roles can be jointly held by several people. accepted
6.4) Clarify that sociocratic organization requires two-way representation: Working Group Coordinators represent the CC in the WG; another WG member represents the WG in the CC not the Coordinator. (When possible secondary to adequate numbers.)
6.5) Clarify the dispute resolution procedure: Upon appeal, the Spokesperson, will choose to: a) appoint a mediator, b) place the issue on the Coordinating Circle agenda, or d) create an ad-hoc Working Group.
7) Feedback regarding BATI’s name and acronym:
Instead of “working groups” could we say "initiatives", as in BATIs (plural) ?--No need for changing this at this time.
Instead of BATI, would BRITE be better? Belfast Region Initiative for Transitional Ease or Transitional Education was discussed as well as using the image of a “bat” as part of a logo, but leave BATI as is. Katia to consider.
8) Next General Meeting: June 14th 6pm in City Park with Timothy’s as rain backup.
January 14, 2012 Minutes
Notes from the January 14, 2012 Monthly Meeting of the Belfast Area Transition Initiative
Held at 57 High Street, back apartment, from 3-4:45 pm
Marshall led the meeting; Jennifer took notes; Sheril brought refreshments
Attending: Marshall, Judy, Sheril, Katia, Karin, Timothy, Paul, Miriam, Judith, Jennifer, Raffi, Susan
1. The University of Maine Cooperative Extension is holding facilitation training. The training is composed of 5 sessions and starts next Friday. They're looking for more people. Ask Susan for more information.
2. Mike from the Belfast Energy and Climate Committee told Susan that they are looking for new members. They want us to co-sponsor a film, "Pace Energy Efficient Loan Program" - Susan will check into this. Karin will attend the next meeting of the Belfast Energy and Climate Committee, but cannot become a member because she lives in Northport.
3. Paul will be attending a meeting about Time Banking and disabled persons on February 8, from 1-3 pm at the Bangor Career Center (if he's not in Vermont).
4. Jessie Watkins is doing a deep introduction to permaculture through adult ed and Karen may be going - 4 sessions, room for 12 only
5. Peace and Justice of Waldo County meets the first Tuesday of the Month at the UU church at 6:30 pm and the 3rd Wednesday at 6 PM at the Belfast Library. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Miriam will be liaison between Peace & Justice and BATI.
6. March 16, Sheril and Karin will be doing a presentation and BATI will be co-sponsorship a Belfast Bay Watershed Coalition talk about preserving contiguous land for wildlife and recreation
Paul suggested that we send scouts to trainings and meetings and pass information along to the wider group in various ways. Those attending facilitation training, for example, could put together a facilitator's handbook.
Review last meetings notes - no changes
Treasurer's report - balance $175.41, no income - savings account balance $15
Paul found out about getting an EIN # through the IRS. Susan got one for BATI. This doesn't give us nonprofit status. Susan was asked for the name of a responsible person and she gave them her name. An EIN # is required to put the BATI bank account on the right footing.
Working Groups Reports
Process Working Group
Paul reports an amazing process! It can be painful to write something together in a group, yet the process worked very well. Paul distributed the new Constitution and Jennifer read it aloud. Jennifer made a motion to pass the Constitution and Karin suggested we go around and vote. It was adopted unanimously.
The following folks were nominated to fill key roles:
· Co-archivists: Paul and Judith
· Co-spokespeople: Susan and Karin
· Co-treasurers: Andrew and Timothy
Working group Members
· Food group (including permablitzing) - Judy, Sheril, Bindy, Andrew, Timothy, Katia, and Karin - have met once
· Transportation - Miriam, Marshall, Jennifer
· Local Economy Working Group - Paul, Katia, Bill, Andrew
· Outreach Working Group (education) - Sheril, Susan, Unity woman
· BATI Process Working Group (working on constitution, facilitator's friend handbook, members handbook at some point, how to start and run a working group) - Paul, Susan, Karin, Judith
· Coordinating Working Group - representative from each working group, or somebody at large
Transportation Working Group
Jennifer reports that the Belfast Bus Stop Sign Coalition met on January 11, 2012 and is off to a rousing start. Coalition members include: Spectrum Generations, Triad, Waldo County Community Action Partners, Friends of Midcoast Maine, Memorable Events, Our Town Belfast, and the City of Belfast.
Two organizations have stepped up to the plate to donate $125 seed money. A graphic designer has been retained and will have 3-4 mock-ups ready for the next meeting on February 8. A campaign for increasing bus ridership may include free bus rides for the month of June and buttons that say, "I ride the bus."
Food Working Group
Sheril reports that planning for the spring permablitz is underway. The group is putting together different scenarios - 4 different models to submit to Windward Housing Foundation. The Foundation's board of directors and maintenance committee has to approve whatever they submit. She is looking into the Gardening Club in Searsport to see if they will come in and support us.
Local Economy Working Group
Paul said that the group didn't meet and there's not much to report.
Coyote Moon donated a computer to the group and Paul sees the computer, which he has upgraded and added hardware, as a teaching platform and resource terminal. Prior to meetings, he could show folks how to use the forum or how to work on the website.
Sheril, as part of the outreach committee has agreed to be in charge of writing thank-you notes. Katia stepped forward to donate cards that she created.
We have the beginning of a lending library at Tim's and will incorporate videos from Matthew being stored at his house.
Outreach Working Group
Susan reports that she, Jennifer, and Marshall had a brainstorming session about a reskilling fair. Scheduling it out, we could hold it in the fall or next spring. This could be our great unleashing. We could have people coordinating activities according to their working group. Somebody in each group would be involved in networking as a way to put all of us out there in this group.
We could see this as a series of "reskilling" events, starting with the Rural Living Days Fair in March put on by Cooperative Extension - which seems to be gardening oriented, going to the Brooks Field Day in July, then to the Common Ground Fair. BATI could have workshops at each.
We could call it Old Arts Festival or something else, rather than "reskilling"; we could charge people a nickel to get in, cut off downtown to traffic, and have horses - do the historical thing. Susan will also be contacting people outside the group. Elderly love the idea.
"In Transition 2.0" screening
Susan reports the movie is supposed to be great; it is put out by Transition in the UK and is coming out in March. They're having a discount rate for Transition Groups. Brenda said May would be a time to show it at the library and that she would pencil us in
Karen would like to gather an email list of members, announcing our new constitution -she and Susan will draft an email.
Katia questions the BATI moniker we've been using because it sounds a lot like batty, as in crazy. We could use some of the same letters: Belfast Region Initiative for Transition and Education (acronym - BRITE) Tag line: The future is bright or Another bright idea. She designed logo.
The 3rd Monday of the month, we shall schedule a movie night at Tim's, followed by discussion, and accompanied by potluck munchies. The movie night will commence directly after the BATI café at 6 pm or so.
Quarterly meetings of BATI will meet at 17 Main Street in the conference room, which is easily accessible to people.
Review and Plan
· adopted the constitution unanimously
· monthly movie night
· elected provisional coordinating committee officials (to be ratified at next General Meeting)
· new outreach and education committee
The date, agenda, leader, note taker, and refreshment person for the next General Meeting will be determined before the next meeting.
Respectfully submitted, Jennifer Hill
January 12, 2012 Monthly Meeting - Proposed Agenda
January 12, 2012, 6:30-8 P.M. at 57 High Street (around back of building in 2nd floor apartment)
Marshall Rolerson leads the meeting; Judy Holland takes notes; Sheril brings refreshments
a. greetings to those we know, with a warm welcome to newcomers - everybody (5 minutes)
b. changes to the meeting agenda - everyone (2 minutes)
c. review last meeting's notes, ably recorded by Judy Holland (5 minutes)
d. treasurer's report - Andrew (5 minutes)
e. Process Committee - review of proposed Constitution - Paul (25 minutes)
f. Transportation Committee - review bus stop sign progress - Jennifer (5 minutes)
g. Food/Gardening Committee - permablitz planned for spring - Bindy and Andew (10 minutes)
h. Local Economy Committee - new computer donated to BATI - Paul (2 minutes)
i. Education Committee - should we have a reskilling fair this fall? - Jennifer (10 minutes)
- January 9 at 6 pm, directly following BATI Cafe, Andre Bella will present movie, The Economy of Happiness at Tim's apartment, 57 High Street
- Jan. 13 at 6:30, New Forest Instittute, Brooks - Climate Change presentation by Alder Stone Fuller, see www.alderstone3.com
- March 15 program co-sponsorship for Belfast Bay Watershed Coalition talk about preserving contiguous land for wildlife and recreation
Review and Plan
l. review of decisions and promises made at this meeting (3 minutes)
m. brainstorm an agenda for next meeting (5 minutes)
n. recruit leader, note taker, and refreshment person for next meeting (5 minutes)
BATI Monthly Meeting Notes Dec. 8, 2011
New Location: 57 High Street, around back of building, in annex 2nd floor apartment (now Timothy Holland’s, formerly Anne’s place)
Facilitator: Matthew Scala
Notes: Judy Holland
Treats: Raspberry Pie w/ whipped cream, chocolate-chip and other cookies, and more.
1) Opening, introductions (5 Minutes) Present: Timothy Holland, Matthew Scala, Marshall Rollerson, Susan Cutting, Andrew Watkins, Karin Whitman, Paul Eagle, Judy Holland, Vance Wells, Nessa Dertnig, Sheryl Halvorsen, Katia Ancona, Bill Drinkwater.
2) Announcements (5 Minutes) Jane Sanford has "Thrive" DVD to loan to those interested in viewing. Matthew also has a copy to share. ESTIA Conference is tomorrow.
3) Treasurer's Report
Prior balance of the group was $192.89.
Over the course of the month:
Income was $0, Costs were $26.48, leaving a balance of $175.41.
Savings balance is at $15. Time dollars $0
4) Discussion on how to proceed with last week's discussion on where to go next. Missions, goals, and cusps could be written up by each individual on-line introductions where members can write up something about what they are wanting to contribute and where their passions lie. What skills and knowledge do people bring? What do you want your world to look like? Paul will develop a place on the forum where people can enter their response to this. If you are not comfortable with this Paul is willing to enter your data for you.
5) Organizational Goals Brainstorm
Timothy is interested in food distribution and acquisition. Bill states cargo bicycles and small electric vehicles will be useful. Vance states many in Maine are concerned about the availability of food and how Maine can feed it's own. Communication and coordination between what different groups are growing is needed.
6) Committee updates
a. Transportation Committee
i. Bus sign update- probably not much will happen until after the first of the year. Short term goal is the bus signs. Long term will need much development. Marshall is interested in developing needed tools or adaptive vehicles. Anyone interested in joining this committee-talk to Marshall or Merriam?
b. Food/Gardening Committee
i. Update about Community Garden successful event- community garden people are very grateful for all the assistance
ii. Anything further that needs to be done for next permablitz-next meeting is to be in January.
c. Local Economy Committee
Paul has been exploring options. Whatever BATI decides to do needs to require low maintenance. The Mid-Maine time bank appears to be free now, but still has quite a complicated membership agreement and we would have to supply a lot of administrative support ourselves. Life dollars (mostly Pacific coast) are not 1 hour or your time equals 1 Hour of currency like a time bank; you make your own deals; they do provide some administrative support, but have a $25 per year member fee. Hey Neighbor is free and very easy to join, but doesn't include an accounting system. It's like neighborhood FaceBook ( a PlaceBook ?). Paul recommends everyone try it out at heyneighbor.com .
i. Waldo County Community Exchange remains on hold
d. Education Committee no report
e. Energy Descent Plan Committee no report
f. Fiscal administration Temporary Committee can this be part of structure meeting?
7) Proposed New Committees:
a. Publicity and Events Committee: Seeking volunteer members!
i. Economy of Happiness DVD event (Judith-not present)
ii. Could a Re-skilling fair be BATI’s Great Unleashing?
b. Structure and Process Committee meeting to be held December 20th at 5pm at Timothy's
8) Mini-training on using the Discussion Board Site. On the BATI homepage (belfasttransition.org) there is a window that shows the last ten posts to the discussion forum. Nine people have signed up so far. Paul is willing to assist if anyone would like a more detailed tutoring.
9) Chloe from Belfast Bay Watershed would like BATI to be a co-sponsor for March 15th program, Janet McMahon to talk about preserving contiguous land for wildlife and recreation. Other co-sponsors are Sheepscot Wellspring Land Alliance, New Forest institute, Unity College, Healthy Waldo County. This will be followed by a walk on April 14th in Brooks Ellis Pond area.
10) The calendar on the BATI website will be updated by Nessa Dertnig. Also there is a Facebook page that has been maintained by Karin Witman and Kate Harris, but we are looking for a person to help Karin in the future.
11) Vance Wells is offering services that include: Grant writing, sources of funding, banking. Ideas—composting or goodwill store for appliances or recycling. Wilton has done a good job (Rhonda Irish).
12) Plan for January 12th Meeting
a. Facilitator-Marshall Rollerson
b. Note-Taker-Judy Holland
c. Treats Angel-Sheryl
d. Location-Timothy's place
November 10, 2011 Monthly Meeting Notes
November 10, 2011, 6:30pm
Our Town Belfast Office
Facilitor: Bindy Pendleton
Notes: Judy Holland
Treats: Miriam Watkins
Attendees: Marshall Mitnik, Jennifer Hill, Marshall Rolerson, Andrew Watkins, Miriam Watkins, Susan Cutting, Judy Holland, Matthew Scala, Nessa Dertnig, Katia Ancona, Bindy Pendleton, Timothy Holland, Judith Simpson, Sheril Halvorsen
1. Estia Conference December 9 wants BATI person to talk about what we are doing. Will need to discuss further and get back to Estia soon. May get Paul to put info on discussion forum site he has developed to facilitate communication between working group members.
2. Thanks but no Tank rally is not sponsored by the TBNT people. Jennifer well send out more info as available.
3. "Transition Talk Training " 12/4 by Alastair Lough & Carmine Leo @ New Forest. Can Paul also put this up on our web page?
2) Treasurer's Report
1. Prior balance of the group was $192.89.
2. - Over the course of the month:
3. - Income was $0, Costs were $26.48, leaving a balance of $166.41.
4. - Savings balance is at $15. Time dollars $0
3) Transition Handbooks Judith Simpson to order new updates. Our Transition books are available to anyone and will be held in the Transition library at Matthew's.
4) Community Garden Project Update—Is to be held on Saturday November 12. There will be a break for potluck lunch at the Y. Bindy to talk to Y tomorrow. Snacks are being donated by Bay Wrap. 6 loads of goat manure and 2 truckloads of leaves are at the garden. Newspaper and cardboard to arrive on Friday/Saturday. Bring carts, forks, rakes, box cutters, milk crates. Shanna Hanson to sing. There will be a sign up for participants so we can thank fthem formally after the event. (Aside-- Paul to put thank yous on Website?)
5) Report back from the Brooks Transition Training --do we want to become an initiative? Where do we want to go from here? Will also discuss Transition survey and Temporary ad hoc committee and committee formation in general. Separate meeting to be held December 1st 6-8pm at 57 High Street in the back, second floor (Anne's place).
6) “The Economy of Happiness” DVD-- Andree Bella wants to do a survey in Belfast of our Gross Domestic Happiness. Question Waterfall Arts to see if will show this DVD in conjunction with BATI. Judith Simpson and Miriam Watkins to help coordinate.
7) Waldo County Community Exchange (WCCE) is being transferred to BATI economics project. Needs working group to develop and explore options.
8) Education Committee-- Stephanie Wade is volunteering to put energy into this area.
9) Publicity Training—Please e-mail Jennifer Hill (rooted @ fairpoint.net) if you are interested and she will set up a time to talk about getting the word out.
10) Do we want to do a re-skilling event in the next year?
Facilitator for December 1st: Matthew Scala
Note taker: Susan Cutting
Attending: Paul Eagle, Bindy Pendleton, Judy Holland, Timothy Holland, Andrew Watkins, Miriam Watkins, Matthew Scala, Kim Jacobs, Bob Klein, Marshall Rolerson, Bill Drinkwater, Susan Cutting, Jennifer Hill, Karen Ireland
Andrew & Bindy went over to check out the spot for a permablitz being planned for the spring of 2012 in Searsport at a public housing facility. They will report on more detail in the coming months.
ACTION: Minutes from last meeting accepted
Andrew reported no activity since our last meeting. We currently have $198.67 in checking; $15 in savings; no time dollars. The need for a committee to delve into the issue of financial structure for the group emerged.
Matthew reported that Elizabeth Garber is willing to keep BATI library materials at her home in Northport. Bill said he brought the library with him and would turn it over to Matthew. Paul said he had items for the library, too.
Amish store outing
Bill had interesting conversations with Amish father and daughter on his field trip. "It's a great store in Unity," he said. "They have donuts on Fridays and lots of interesting items - well worth going."
Bus stop signs
Miriam, Marshall, and Jennifer met with the new Executive Director of Waldo Community Action Partners, Keith Small; the head of their Department of Transportation, Ed Murphy; and the Executive Director of Our Town Belfast, Dorothy Havey the morning of October 13. Outcomes from the meeting follow:
1. Keith will ponder the issue of the bus stop signs, talk with the WCAP Board of Directors at their November meeting, and will let us know if WCAP is behind the effort to erect bus stop signs for the in-town shopper route.
2. Assuming all is favorable and WCAP is fully on board with the bus stop/schedule idea, Dorothy Havey will do some research on sign ordinances, will work with the Our Town Belfast design committee to come up with an attractive design that will feature an image of a bus. In the meantime, Dorothy will introduce Keith Small to Joe Slocum and will take some time to bring Thomas Kitteridge up to date about the bus stop sign idea.
3. The next step would be to get prices for what the signs will cost. At that point, we will need to gather as a group for a brainstorming session about how to raise the needed money. Ideas mentioned include a raffle, a dance, a music concert, a talk. We might include more than one of these ideas into an event designed to raise the necessary money.
Quite a number of organizations are interested in being part of the fundraising effort, should we go forward, including Waldo Community Action Partners, Belfast Area Transition Initiative, Our Town Belfast, Unitarian Universalist Church of Belfast's Green Sanctuary Committee, Belfast Area Chamber of Commerce, Memorable Events, TRIAD, and Friends of Midcoast Maine.
Judy talked to someone who works in the school system about who to approach and she was told to contact the superintendent or the Captain Stevens elementary school principal. The painting has a blurb that goes with it, a kind of description of what transition is. Contact information for the group could go with it, also.
Brenda's request for purchasing Handbooks
Brenda bought too many Handbooks for the Common Ground Fair and would like to sell them to us. We had a few extra books, but nobody was sure where they were or if we had any left. The library had some and gave some away. Brenda is charging $13.25 each - way below the market value. It was suggested that we have some on hand at the October 21 talk. Matthew said he wanted to purchase one and the group agreed to buy two for future events.
DECISION: purchase 2 Handbooks for BATI from Brenda at $13.25 each
Upcoming Transition training
Scott McKeown and Alistair Lough will be doing a 2-day Transition Initiative training at Newforest Institute in Brooks on October 22 and 23 for a sliding scale of 0 to $150 each. Scott McKeown, a founding member of Transition Sebastopol is coming from California to do the training and will be holding a telephone conference on Thursday, October 20.
On Friday, October 21, Scott will be doing a free talk on the Transition Movement at Waterfall Arts that BATI is sponsoring. The talk starts at 6:30 pm, but they will open the room at 6 pm for preparations. Sign-ups follow:
Food donations: everyone pretty much agreed to bring finger food to share with the crowd. Andrew, Miriam and Bindy will be part of the set-up crew. Marshall and Tim will help with clean-up. Susan will contact Brenda about getting a email list of all the transition groups in the state.
Jennifer Hill has agreed to train folks interested in helping with publicity about how to get the word out about upcoming events. She will hold a free 2-hour training in a few weeks, at a time and place to be announced and will invite other groups according to their interest.
Community Garden request for help
Marshall Mitnick has requested help with putting the Community Garden to bed. The date of Saturday, November 12 was suggested. Twelve people work in the garden and they do give food to the Troy Howard Middle School kitchen and YMCA. Judy will talk to the Community Garden people and will email out whatever happens. Once a date is confirmed, Marshall Rolerson will talk to the Waldo Vocational School's horticulture teacher & John Thurston at Troy Howard Middle School to see if their students can help.
Waldo County time bank
Paul says, "The Waldo County Community Exchange (WCCE) was operational a few years ago. It has been moribund for 2 years. There is a membership of 80 people, which is dated at this point. Local currency ideas are getting better and better and multiple approaches at the same time may be appropriate for a given community. Marshall Mitnick, WCCE Treasurer is interested in transferring the $700+ in the Credit Union account and the mission of the organization to BATI. [NOTE ADDED AFTER BATI MEETING: As decided during the last "Kitchen Cabinet" meeting of the Waldo County Community Exchange on Oct. 14, 2011, transfer of all records and assets to BATI was completed on Oct. 17. BATI assumes no tax liability because, unlike BATI, WCCE is licensed as non-profit.]
The BATI Local Economy subcommittee was formed to investigate a replacement for the CES accounting system used by WCCE. Options include joining the Mid Maine Time Bank, the Life Currency Cooperative Exchange, using HeyNeighbor MicroFavors, or setting up our own Cyclos exchange system.
A system of committees was put forward with the following volunteers stepping up for leadership positions:
Paul Eagle and Bill Drinkwater: Local Economy
Bindy Pendleton (and Judy Holland?): Gardening
Marshall Rolerson and Miriam Watkins: Transportation
Susan Cutting and Andrew Watkins: Fiscal Sponsorship
Nobody: PR paintings, books, training
Marshall Rolerson: Energy Descent Plan
Bindy said she would get list of questions from Transition US and report at the next meeting
Bill is resigning his position as curator of the online Google calendar.
SO WE NEED someone to receive and put event info online.
Next meeting Thursday, November 10, 6:30-8 pm in a space to be announced.
Bindy - Leader for November
Judy - Notes for next meeting
Miriam - Food for next meeting
Respectfully submitted, Jennifer Hill
September 8, 2011, 6:30pm
Jennifer Hill’s office
17 High St. Belfast
(Next meeting to be back at Our Town Belfast Office)
Facilitor: Paul Eagle
Notes: Susan Cutting
Treats: Jennifer Hill
Attendees: Paul Eagle, Jennifer Hill, Marshall Rollerson, Andrew Watkins, Miriam Watkins, Susan Cutting, Judy Holland, Matthew Scala, Bill Drinkwater
1) Opening, introductions.
- The group welcomed Matthew Scala to his first BATI meeting.
- Since the Our Town Belfast office was not available this evening, the group met at Jennifer Hill’s new office, in the conference room that had just been set up—the first meeting for the conference room! Much apprecited by the group, when the Our Town Belfast office was not available. Next meeting will be back at the Our Town Belfast office.
- Jennifer submitte a nomination for BATI’s candidacy as the Belfast Area Chamber of Commerce’s “Green Leadership Award” (SEE LETTER BELOW)
- Bill Drinkwater’s electric vehicle potluck is Saturday, Sept 10, 11am-4pm.
- Sacred Circle dance is happening at the Dance studio, next one on Sept 18th, at 7pm
- Jennifer is turning 60 on September 18th, everyone is welcome to Hungry Heron Farm. Starts at 4pm.
- Jennifer organizing a UU Forum on deconstructing poverty. This next one is focused on transportation on Sunday, September 25th from 11:30-1pm. All are welcome to attend.
3) The Minutes from last meeting accepted as written.
4) Treasurer’s Report (Andrew)
- Prior balance of the group was $222.89.
- Over the course of the month:
- Income was $0, Costs were $30, leaving a balance of $192.89.
- Savings balance is at $15. Time dollars $0
5) Fiscal sponsor discussion (Andrew)
- Andrew spoke with Larry Danzinger of ROSC (Resource Organizations for Social Change) who provided Andrew with information about fiscal sponsorship through ROSC. (See Attached materials) There are 6 criteria and they 1% cut. The main thing is they welcome it, if the group is or will be receiving funds/grants from funders that need a 501c3 status to provide the funds.
- More thoughts from Andrew (9/12):
i. To date all of our events have not needed a non-profit but someone who could handle the tax liability more effectively than anyone in our group. We had the Food COOP as fiscal sponsor for the BATI supplement earlier this year. So, we also need fiscal sponsorship for projects like that. Where non-profit status is not a requirement.
ii. I wasn't clear whether Larry was suggesting ROSC would only handle tax-deductible contributions so maybe you interpreted his response to me better than I did myself.
iii. We could really use an official structure although we would need a more active group - one where members can be sustained in their participation. I could think of two structures that would be useful to have.
1. A 501(c)(3) for education and public outreach
2. A B-Corporation for projects. Again...having anything along these lines would require a much more active group and we would need to have a larger sense of group identity and the model we are actually following.
6) Transition Café Report
- Remarkable that Marshall and Andrew have been doing this every month for over a year, And it’s in the paper, every week. Kudos to Andrew and Marshall!
7) Belfast Bus Stop Update (Miriam)
- Meghan (Miriam’s neighbor) is working at Waldo Cap, they have finally hired a new director. Hopeful that new director will support the Bus stop sign project.
8) Permablitz Report
- A very successful permablitz at Elizabeth Garber’s house! See Karin’s written report of August 31st for details (previously sent out to the list).
9) Planning future Permablitzes:
- A permaablitz is being planned for next spring in Searsport.
- Judy proposed that we do a permablitz this fall—perhaps at Jennifer and Marshall’s Hungry Heron Farm? Students (with their instructor) at the VOC school in their horticultural program may be interested in attending.
10) Common Ground Fair:
- Will there be a group biking to the fair on September 24th to support the world-wide 350 events? Andrew Watkins will definitely be bicycling to the fair. Others are welcome to join him (please contact Andrew)
- BATI will have a presence at Transition table in the social and political action tent; several BATI members have signed up for tabling. Let’s see if we can hang Anne’s transition painting up above the table!
i. Susan will contact Brenda to see if it’s okay
ii. Miriam could bring the painting on Saturday morning or
iii. Susan and Walden could bring it Friday
iv. Bill can bring the easel to stand it on.
11) Anne’s paintings:
- We need to rescue these wonderful transition-inspired paintings! (The large painting is 2'+3' and the 7 smaller paintings are 7"+10". Judy will talk to Troy Howard to see if they want them on their walls. Jennifer had a vision of writing a grant to bring it around to schools to inspire discussion of positive future visioning.
12) BATI brunch:
- Would be great to have a BATI brunch somewhere. We welcome folks to take this on. Maybe waffling at Susan and Jim’s in the winter?
13) Discuss Resilience: Group members would like to discuss the concept of resilience and what that means for Belfast at the next meeting. Andrew will lead the discussion.
14) Transition economics: How do we make a time-bank useful? We need many more options of economic systems to participate in. Paul described some examples :
- Options include joining the Mid Maine Time Bank, the Life Currency Cooperative Exchange , using HeyNeighbor MicroFavors, or setting up our own Cyclos exchange system.
- “Food-Swapping” like the Boston Food Swap (www.bostonfoodswap.com): “A food swap is part silent auction/part village marketplace/part fun-loving open house where your home-made, home-grown, and foraged creations become your own personal currency form in swapping with other participants. Diversify your pantry while meeting your friends and neighbors! We promote local, sustainable food sources by creating a forum for people to exchange their home-crafted goods. Think jams, pickles, breads, beers, herbs, or anything else you can think of!” (Avoids health safety laws because there’s no money involved.)
- or the Massachusetts Food Trader (www.mafoodtrader.org/ads/grind-your-grain-or-coffee-on-my) where, as an example, one guy offers folks to come to his place and use his bicycle-powered coffee or grain grinder, for a small cut of the ground bounty.
- Maybe there should be a focus group on this? In different situations, different systems are appropriate. Maybe folks from around here could get something happening, in a separate group, to discuss this. If interest, please contact Paul.
15) Next steps for BATI:
- Need a home for the Transition library: Matthew will check to see if Elizabeth Garber is interested in hosting it.
- Need to make our group more accessible to people who are in a time of their life when they want to make something happen. What are some ideas
i. Perhaps a group tour of the Amish store in Unity (with a video camera? Or maybe not..). Bill will look into this.
ii. Maybe we could organize a ”Swap Meet”?
iii. Year-round farmers market?
iv. Miriam spoke with Belfast town folks some time ago about creating a space at the transfer station to house good stuff to store for people to buy (or take). Maybe try to just make it happen, without the town? What about at the redemption center across the street from the transfer station. Maybe they’d be interested ?
- How can we build on BATI’s successes? The Permablitzes have been so successful, what can we do to streamline, expand, or otherwise grow our work in this area?
16) The next meeting will be October 13th, 6:30-8pm at the Our Town Belfast office.
- Judy will be the facilitator
- Jennifer will take notes
- Matthew will bring treats
LETTER to Belfast Area Chamber of Commerce regarding Green Leadership Award Nomination
The Belfast Area Transition Initiative is an amazing local, grass roots, all-volunteer group of activists who are working for local change to a greener, brighter future. The goals are threefold: decrease the use of fossil fuels, address climate change, and encourage local economic growth. The organization has sought to partner with other local groups and has made enormous strides in raising awareness.
· The Belfast Area Transition Initiative (BATI) struck off the new year 2011 by printing an insert in the Republican Journal - a news flash from the future about how green Belfast could be in 2021, a mere ten years from now. Articles were written by community leaders such as David Loxtercamp, MD, journalist Toni Mailloux, and First Church minister Joel Krueger. The newspaper inspired artist Anne Atkinson to paint a series of pictures depicting Belfast’s green future.
From Anne Saggese of the Belfast Farmers’ Market about an article in the publication: “I just read the insert and it is priceless. Excellent job! I wanted to share a funny story with you - I received an email yesterday from one of our farmers at the Camden market, a fifth generation beef farmer and the nicest people. They said they had read the newspaper and were SO excited to see how well Belfast was doing and had a half dozen questions about possibility of their applying to the Belfast Market. I broke the news gently that the Spinney Center's everyday market isn't open yet, but please DO apply so we're one step closer to needing such a great facility. I was very heartened to see that it was within the realm of belief that we could advance that far in local food supply demand.”
As part of the futuristic news, BATI co-hosted with Our Town Belfast a fundraiser for New Year’s By the Bay at the Library featuring the music of ODLAW.
· In February, BATI organized a one-day bus trip to New Brunswick, Canada to tour their City Market. Farmers joined activists and economic leaders such as Belfast Economic Development Director Thomas Kitteridge and Chamber Executive Director Jack Driscoll in seeking a bit of inspiration and fun from this 100+-year-old institution.
· BATI has hosted three permablitzes in Belfast and Northport this year, turning yards that needed to be mowed into permaculture gardens, providing edible landscapes.
· Co-hosting events such as the Eat Local Challenge with the UU Church’s Green Sanctuary Committee and the Belfast Co-op; the talk by Vermont author Ben Hewitt about his book, The Town that Food Saved with the Belfast Co-op and many other local groups; and many more
· Since the summer of 2010, BATI has been hosting at the Belfast Co-op a weekly “Café” to discuss issues of sustainability at 5 PM Mondays.
· BATI has been actively working towards getting bus stop signs for our public bus system with Waldo County Community Action Partners, Our Town Belfast and the City of Belfast.
· In July 2011, BATI organized the Belfast leg of a journey across Maine for 6 college students riding bicycles, refusing all rides. The students were part of the New England Climate Summer program. Leader Arielle Koshkin wrote, “Our stay in Belfast was amazing. I think it was the best town of the summer. Thanks for all your hard work for prior planning and all the help during the week.”
September 8, 2011, 6:30pm
Our Town Belfast office
171 High St. downtown Belfast
Facilitor: Paul Eagle
Notes: Susan Cutting
Treats: Bindy Pendleton
1) Opening, introductions
2) Announcements (5 minutes)
3) Additions or changes to agenda (5 minutes)
4) Treasurer’s Report (Andrew – 5 minutes)
5) Fiscal sponsor discussion (Andrew - 10 minutes)
6) Transition Café Report (Marshall and Andrew - 10 minutes)
7) Belfast Bus Stop Update (Miriam & Dorothy – 5 minutes)
8) Permablitz Report (5 minutes)
9) Planning future Permablitzes: how we can build on the success? (5 minutes)
10) Common Ground Fair:
- Bus-cycle? (Marshall – 5 minutes)
- BATI presence at Transition table (Susan – 2 minutes)
11) Brainstorm an agenda for next meeting (5 minutes)
12) Recruit facilitator, note taker, and refreshment person for next meeting (5 minutes)
13) Closing (Check Out)
Our Town Belfast office on 171 High St. downtown Belfast
Facilitor: Marshall Rolerson
Notes: Bindy Pendleton
Present: Judy Holland, Marshall Rolerson, Bindy Pendleton, Jennifer Hill, Susan Cutting, Andrew & Miriam Watkins, Dorothy Harvey, Paul Eagle, Karin Wittman
1) Announcements: ?
2) Treasurer’s Report (Andrew W.)
Balance $256. 40 ; Request from Paul Eagle for $11 to renew belfasttransition.org – approved with vote
3) Belfast Bus Stop Update (Miriam & Dorothy)
WCAP is raising funds for signs; 4 places have OK’d signs for their property; Belfast Our Town will do a presentation to the City Council for placing signs; WCAP is designing signs.
4) New England Climate Summer (NECS) Update (Susan) - 6 college kids due to arrive in Belfast July 17 or so; staying @ UU Church and towards end of week going to Brooks Newforest Insitute; Susan passed out schedule. (Actually came early & stayed @ Hungry Heron Farm for 2 nights).
5) Permablitz (Andrew) Details reviewed; Bindy & Jenn will cover PR
6) Mid Maine Time Bank Update (Paul) . Waldo Community Exchange has decided not to join; Paul will be putting out info on “Collaborative Consumption” (HeyNeighbor MicroFavors) and other options.
7) 3rd Permablitz plans underway (Karin ) in Bayside for August 27@ Elizabeth Garber’s new house to be. Has hired Bill & Lauren to design “in a big way”.Karin W. overseeing Bati involvement.
8) Brainstorming future: > 11/11/11; launching unleashing; Fall Harvest Supper involvement
9) Next meeting: 6:30; Thursday, Aug. 11 @ ‘Our Town Belfast’ office;171 High St ; Paul to facilitate; Bindy may bring refreshments
Notes taken & submitted by Bindy
Belfast Area Transition Initiative
6:30 P.M. at Our Town Belfast office, 171 High St., Suite 6
(in the Mall between McLeod's and the Colonial) in downtown Belfast
Facilitator – Marshall Rolerson
Notes - TBA
Snack - TBA
Introduce ourselves, welcome newcomers
1. Announcements (5 minutes)
2. Review and amend agenda (5 minutes)
3. Treasurers report - Andrew (5 minutes)
4. Belfast Bus stop sign update - Miriam (10 Minutes)
5. New England Climate Summer update– Susan (10 minutes)
6. NECS Cedar Street Permablitz update - Andrew (10 minutes)
7. Brainstorm possible future events (10 minutes)
8. Have we figured out our mission? (15 minutes)
9. Launching discussion – Marshall (15 minutes)
1. Brainstorm an agenda for next meeting (5 minutes)
2. Review of decisions and promises made at this meeting (5 minutes)
3. Recruit facilitator, note taker, and refreshment person for next meeting (5 minutes)